The NORSOK Standards were introduced in 1994 by the Norwegian offshore industry and continue to serve as global guidelines for adding value and ensuring cost-effective design, construction, operation and maintenance within aggressive offshore environments.
NORSOK M-501 provides the guidelines for the selection of coating systems, minimum dry film thickness and surface preparation to ensure quality standards for all aspects of the offshore industry.
NORSOK M-501 is targeted at new construction projects in challenging environments where there is a need to ensure optimum corrosion protection to provide the following benefits:
• Obtain protective coatings systems which provide extended design life
• Reduce overall lifetime costs for the offshore installations and associated facilities
• Minimise health and safety concerns
• Minimise the need for maintenance, which is costly and inconvenient, and in some cases, not possible
• Minimise environment impact